Skip to main content

RoboCharmer

I know I've shared versions of this before, but I did a scan of the work today so you could see the final product (my cellphone pics didn't do the work justice).  I'm really happy with the way this turned out.  It scares my wife every time she sees it, but even she thinks it looks pretty good.  For this piece, I call RoboCharmer (the original is called Little Charmer), I chose to work with acrylic to start.  I never went to art school so much of my learning came from bits and pieces I've picked up off the internet.  The article that got me started painting was about the process that Mark Teague uses to make his wonderful paintings for his books (if you don't know Teague's work, he is now best known for his illustrations in the How do Dinosaurs... books).  That is where I learned that I needed to start with a toned underpainting which is a process I've used for almost all of my work.  I usually use burnt umber for its warming quality.
Sometimes I fall in love with the underpainting, wishing I was done.  Wishing that I didn't have to move farther and thus possibly screw up something I liked.  But you've got to quickly get over that to move forward.  
When I got around to painting over the underpainting, I chose to use payne's grey, which I hadn't gotten my hands on before.  Little did I know that when I mixed it down with white, it looked really blue.  So when I finished painting the final, I was like crap, its super blue! I kind of liked it but knew that I wasn't done.  

When I came back to the painting on Sunday, I decided to use some Gouache since I knew I could add some really nice transparent layers to the piece.  Gouache is really interesting to work with as it can act almost as both a thin acrylic or a watercolor when you need it to be. I gave the painting a nice layer of burnt umber which not only toned down the blue but gave the impression of rust on the robot's face and arm.  I stepped back to look at my work. I was finished.  Finally.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Show at Red Tree Gallery

A few weeks ago I got an email from Red Tree Gallery asking me to submit some of my work for their illustration show.  I think that they probably got my name off the Cincy Illustrators Blog and I was thrilled to be asked.  I haven't had anyone ask me to show anything before!  But that meant I needed to get things prepared.  Most of my paintings have the original used frames with them but some of them didn't come with frames at all. Luckily, I was able to find some great gems at the local salvation army.  In a past life, I used to be a picture framer.  It was one of my favorite jobs.  So I was able to use my framing skills to get all the paintings mounted and wired and ready to show publicly and not just in my basement. My next conundrum was price.  I have no idea how to price my work.  My instinct is to price low and I think that is only because it is hard for me to ask someone to buy something that I might not be able to afford.  ...

Mt. Bodacious is coming