Skip to main content

Hey Ricky or How I Came to Paint Rick Moranis

So I just finished a big #finealt (trying to come up with a name for what I do, trying) thrift store painting featuring a giant Rick Moranis head.  How did I get here? Do I have a love for Rick Moranis? Why would someone do this to a perfectly good painting?  While I can't always mind map an art project, I have a pretty good idea where this one came from.
It starts with #meetingnotes.  Meeting notes is an ongoing project of mine that organically started as I had to go to meetings at my day job  Many of these meetings didn't pertain much to me, so I started drawing to a) pass the time and b) work on my drawing skills.  When I started, I made mostly doodles.  Over time I began working on more complicated and intricate sketches of people (mostly celebrities that I admired).  I would post these on my instagram on Fridays to the she-grin of friends and fans.



The Wada Effect

Kevin Wada.  I loved and admired his beautiful watercolor illustrations of my own childhood obsession, X-Men.  The dude really takes the images of these characters into a whole different dimension.  But, what was prominent in Wada's work that I always disregarded in comics when I was a kid was men with chiseled faces.  Structure and lines that made them manly and super.  Never a doughy face in sight.  In response, I started trying to draw round faced men.  Men who's features wouldn't make them an action star.  One of my favorite subjects is Fred Armisen.
Fred Armisen pen & ink by Ben J Hutchison

His face is full of so many expressions and he has these features that are very round.  From Fred I moved to other faces until one day I made a meeting note of Rick Moranis.
Ricky Meeting Note by Ben J Hutchison

From earlier meeting note iterations, I decided to add words to the images and put Hey Ricky! behind his head.  And thus a new project idea began to percolate.

Bill Murray, the Muse-iest Man Alive

When I first decided to try and paint one of these new projects, I turned to my main man, Bill Murray.  I had a small landscape paining that I picked up from the Salvation Army that seemed perfect for Bill to be added.  I found a song title that I liked and got to work.  History was made. :)
Billy Don't You Lose My Number by Ben J Hutchison


I knew that I wanted to turn my Rick meeting note into a painting and I knew just what painting I wanted to use.  Over the summer, my wonderful wife had made a mission out of finding big old paintings for me to work on.  I've done small work before, but this was the biggest "canvas" that I've tried to tackle.  So I put it off.  For months.  I had printouts, sketches, test paintings, but I just feared the big guy.  I let it sit in the corner collecting dust.  Then one day, feeling like the muse might leave me for this work, I decided to pull out the painting and started.  Worked.  Then finished.  And now its done.  I hope you like it!



Hey Ricky! WIP by Ben J Hutchison

Hey Ricky! head by Ben J Hutchison

Hey Ricky!ghosttext by Ben J Hutchison

Hey Ricky! by Ben J Hutchison

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fugazi Poster

This mornings music mix consisted of Radiohead, Daft Punk, OFF!, The Hives, Jay-Z, and Fugazi.  It got my brain percolating.  I wanted to make a poster. First I found some images, drew them up in ink.


I threw them into photoshop, and with a little Wacom magic, whala!  It's fun making posters for bands who don't need them.


Moving Along

Well Everybody, its been nice being here but I'm moving on.  I'm going to try my hand at doing my blog on my own website.  so for my further adventures, go to benjhutch.com

Adios!

Ghost Walkin' process

So the piece titled Ghost Walkin' has been sitting around my house for a long time.  I always knew I wanted to add ghosts to it but the originals looked more like the ghosts in Spirited Away than the sheet ghosts I eventually went with.  My first stab at the project was a failure.  I almost always forget my process and jump into a painting head first then end up messing it up.  So I went straight for acrylics and hated the results.  After expressing my failure to my wife, she suggested that I just start over.  Which I did.
I usually do an underpainting in burnt sienna.  Next, I tried to establish the color of the ghosts before I blended it in with the background.
As you can see I went with a bluish grey tone.  Stark white would have looked too bright as this piece not only had a more subtle palate but it also had some sun damage.  Once I got a handle on the color of the ghosts, now it was time to blend them into the painting.  This is a two step process.  First I added some washes…