Skip to main content

Billy, Don't You Lose My Number

Ah Bill Murray.  I never expected him to be such a muse.  As I've come to find out, Mr. Murray is a muse to many people as one of my Bills was featured in the Bill Murray Affair art show out in San Francisco.  I began this as an experiment for larger works.  I have some ideas floating around with people and words so I wanted to see what it would look like on a small scale.  I really wanted to dive into using oils on this one, but fear and money put that on the back burner.  I ended up using my good old gouache.  Its a weird and tricky medium to handle because on one hand you can add water later and create washes to blend colors, but adding water can sometimes pull the colors which can be frustrating if you were trying to blend things together.  I'm really interested in what I can do with some oil paints.  Its such a different process.  I've got alla prima at home to read and I want to do the chip chart exercise in the book on mixing color.  When I mix color I feel like I'm wishfully hoping that the color I want will come out of mixing this with that and it gets close but I'm still not 100% confident in my color mixing.  But I'm very happy with how this turned out.  Once I find a good frame, I'll put it up in my store to sell.  Hope you enjoy!
Altered Re-Directed thrift store painting - Ben J Hutchison
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fugazi Poster

This mornings music mix consisted of Radiohead, Daft Punk, OFF!, The Hives, Jay-Z, and Fugazi.  It got my brain percolating.  I wanted to make a poster. First I found some images, drew them up in ink. I threw them into photoshop, and with a little Wacom magic, whala!  It's fun making posters for bands who don't need them.